Saturday, April 17, 2010

Misdirected Praise

I have taken a blow to the ego!

All of my training in a new department was put to the test last week, when the department head came down with bronchitis and took three consecutive days off (Wed, Thurs, Fri). I was ready, and after getting through the week, decided that it was a personal best. I felt very proud of the job I did, and felt confident that she would not have much to clean up upon returning to work.

Well, Thursday night, at the employee meeting, a fellow employee was praised and rewarded for filling in for his department head. Someone yelled out that my department head had also been out. In response, the general manager turned to look at me, said, "Oh, that is right." But instead of giving me a nod or an atta-girl, he simply proceded to another topic. No problem. I would have been embarrassed in front of that crowd anyway.

But Friday, a manager, passed on praise given at his manager's only meeting to the fellow employee and to--you thought I was going to say "me"--Jennifer. She got the credit for the work I had done. And right in front of me at that! I wanted to yell out, "Dude, I'm right here, but I must be invisible!" And she did not defer to me, but drank in every drop of undeserved praise!

I swear, I don't mind flying under the radar, but I'm not trying to be invisible!

To add insult to injury, I later discovered that they were awarded with pay raises for their efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your thoughts and experiences. Comments containing profanity will not be published.