Sunday, August 25, 2013

Pregnant - Finding A Doctor

After taking the home pregnancy test, I immediately drove to Planned Parenthood for confirmation. (I knew they would take me on a walk-in basis.) They suggested that I find a doctor soon because my age would put me in a high risk category. I went home and started browsing the phone book for doctors. I called a clinic that was nearest my home. The receptionist asked how far along I was. I didn't know. She asked the date of my last period. Again, I didn't know. She asked when I had discontinued my oral contraceptive. I didn't know. Exasperated, she snapped, “Well, if you're too far along, no one is going to take you!” I was so overwhelmed that I just hung up the phone, and cried. I had just received shocking news of a pregnancy, the words “high risk” had set me on edge, and now the thought that no doctor would even see me was horrifying! Then I was struck with the thought that crying isn't good for baby, and I composed myself. The next phone call to another clinic began like this, “I just found out I'm pregnant. I don't know how far along I am. I don't know the date of my last period. I'm 38 years old. I've been told that no one will take me if I'm too far along, so what am I supposed to do?” The sweetest receptionist soothed all my fears, “We specialize in high-risk pregnancies here. You're going to need medical care no matter how far along you are, and we can easily find that out with a simple ultrasound.”

It sounded too good to be true, so I launched my next test, “I don't know anything about having babies, but I want to be in control of everything. Do you know of any doctor who is going to want to work with me?” The response came, “I think you need to meet Jen.”


Turns out that Jen is a Certified Nurse and Midwife. She is suprisingly open to working with my wishes, even though I am very inexperienced.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your thoughts and experiences. Comments containing profanity will not be published.